Will there be time for shopping at Kathmandu?
- There may not be enough time to shop before leaving to Tibet, so it is best to come prepared with all the items required for the journey.
Where can I buy warm clothing and shoes? Any recommendations?
- Indians can buy warm clothing and water proof trekking shoes at Decathlon stores in most major cities.
Will we have sufficient time and training to acclimatize for the journey?
- Lhasa groups (A and S) will be staying in Lhasa for two nights to acclimatize.
- For the Heli group, we will spend two nights in Purang to acclimatize.
In case of emergencies, what are the steps that will be taken?
- A qualified and well-equipped doctor especially trained to handle high-altitude sickness and other conditions that may arise, will accompany the group throughout the program.
- If an evacuation becomes necessary, you will be taken either to a lower altitude or the nearest medical facility.
Do I need to carry the medicines which I have been taking and prescribed by my doctor?
Yes, you are advised to take sufficient stock of medicines to last the entire duration of the trip.
How can I qualify medically?
By undergoing all the medical tests mentioned in the medical form and consulting your physician about your fitness to travel to a high altitude of 19,000 feet and above.
I have been to high altitudes last year and my stay was uneventful. Do I need a medical exam?
Yes, it is necessary to undergo a medical examination every time before going to a high altitude region.
Do we need to undergo medical tests? Why is it necessary?
Yes, a medical assessment is mandatory. You are required to trek through high altitude region. In such places, the atmospheric air is under low pressure and people may suffer from hypoxia (less oxygen). In the rarefied atmospheric conditions, a person may develop ailments like pulmonary edema/cerebral edema and acute mountain sickness. Participants must therefore be screened thoroughly before they are taken to high altitudes.
What is the accommodation provided and can I book a single room?
- Five / four-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu / Lhasa on twin-sharing basis for Lhasa group
- Four-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on twin-sharing basis for Heli group
- Best available hotels / guest houses in the rest of Tibet. Facilities in Tibet are very limited and therefore the quality of accommodation will vary from one place to another. Rest assured, we will be providing the best of what the place has to offer.
- As a policy, everyone must share their room as symptoms of high altitude can arise unexpectedly. Therefore, it is a safety measure to have another person in the room in case you require help.
How can I stay in contact with my family during the travel?
- Free Wi-Fi is available at most hotels until Saga. There is no connectivity while at Manasarovar and Kailash, so please inform your family in advance.
- The program coordinator will be equipped with a local China phone at these places for emergency communication.
- It is recommended that you stay focussed on the pilgrimage and keep contact with the outside to the minimum in order to make the best use of these sacred spaces.
How many hours of travel is involved every day in the Lhasa group?
- About 6 to 9 hours per day.
Will there be any major expenditure that I am likely to Incur?
We recommend you plan for costs towards:
- Personal porter while trekking to Mount Kailash, if you require one
- If you are travelling in the Heli group and require a pony
- Gratuity for drivers, cooks and porters
- Any other personal expenses
- Expenses in case of evacuation due to medical emergencies, natural calamities such as earthquake, landslide, floods or change of government rules etc towards travel, boarding, lodging and medical costs.
What is the process for getting a visa to Kailash for non-Indian passport holders
- The visa for non-Indian passport holders can be availed only at the Chinese embassy in Kathmandu
- The Chinese embassy at Kathmandu currently requires 3 working days to process the group visa
- Once you arrive in Kathmandu, an Isha volunteer will collect your passports and make necessary arrangements
What is the process for getting a visa to Kailash for Indian passport holders
- The visa for Indian passport holders can be availed only at the Chinese embassy in New Delhi
- To facilitate the group visa, your original Indian passport is required at New Delhi. The dates will be notified to you at the time of registration.
How do I get my visa for Nepal and Tibet?
- A passport is needed with a minimum validity of 180 days from the last date of the Kailash sojourn
- Indian nationals do not require a visa for Nepal
- Non-Indian nationals require a 30-day multiple entry visa which can be availed on arrival at Kathmandu airport, Nepal
- The visa for Tibet will be organized by Isha Sacred Walks as it must be a “Group Visa”
Is there an age limit?
- Participants must be between 18 and 65 years of age.
- Participants below the age of 18 must either be accompanied by a parent/guardian or submit a letter of parental consent.
- The age limit for travel to Kailash is fixed by the Tibetan foreign affairs department and can vary each year.
- Those above the age of 65 years may be required to undergo additional medical tests to determine their physical fitness.
What is the eligibility criteria / prerequisite to be a part of the Kailash Manasarovar sojourn?
- You must be medically fit
- You require a passport with a minimum of 180 days of validity from the last date of the sojourn
- Diplomatic passports are not permitted in Tibet
- It is necessary to have completed the Isha Yoga / Inner Engineering Program. These simple but powerful energy processes for inner transformation will greatly enhance your experience of the vibrant places that you will be visiting and will also prepare you both mentally and physically for the sojourn.
Please check for these common mistakes made during the registration process
- Incomplete and incorrect information
- Uploading unclear photo / passport copy
- Uploading black and white photo / passport copy
- Missing signatures where required
What are the documents required for this sojourn?
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Letter of indemnity
- Passport-size photo
- Copy of your passport
What is the registration procedure?
- Fill out the online application form
- You will receive an email with details to proceed further